Earlier this week we posted a short article about adopting a new fall tradition of abstinence, called Dry Autumn. A Maple & Lather creation – in the spirit of the well-known Dry January – it proposes that we take a step back from what might be an increase in wine and cocktail consumption driven by COVID 19 stay-at-home protocols.
Today we’re going to get ourselves started with a perfect fall refresher to start a Dry Autumn, our Luxe Lavender Lemonade. It’s naturally made, lightly sweetened with honey, and given a wonderful purple hue from the famous anti-oxidant, blueberries. But as the name suggests, its star ingredient is none other than lavender, whose scent and buds also headline our Lavender Flower soap bar. We experimented with varying amounts of honey and lemon and encourage you to do the same. The recipe is simple, and makes for a perfect after work mocktail to enjoy as the summer Fades into the Fall.
Recipe (6 Tall Servings)
You only need six ingredients to put this drink together, and other than the lavender and lemon, you can really ad-lib this one as you please. The distinct flavoring of the lavender will keep this drink unique and delicately floral no matter how you modify it.
- 5 cups of boiled water
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of blueberries
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of culinary lavender buds
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Place the blueberries in bowl and mash with a fork
- Pour the boiling water into a large jug or pot.
- Add the mashed blueberries, honey and lavender to the boiled water
- Stir, cover and let steep for two hours
- Strain the water mixture using a fine mesh strainer (we used a yogurt cheese maker with great results)
- Add lemon juice to taste
- Finish with ice and lemon slices as garnish
And lastly, while this was a great way to kick of Dry Autumn, we at the Maple & Lather team will look the other way if you decide to spike up this refreshing sipper as well. An ounce of gin always pairs well with lemonade and the Luxe Lavender proves a nice mixer for a cocktail as well. Enjoy!